Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Gotta eat more veggies

I've gotten in a bad habit of eating crap that is filling but offers no real nutritional value. During the 8 months that my husband was unemployed we had to be creative to stretch the food budget so I started making stuff that was oil, butter, flour and sugar based. Breads, cookies, milk shakes made with vanilla, sugar and ice..... get the drift?

Crap, pure crap.

Meals were meat and starch without the vegetables or salads. Fruits? NOPE, fruits were too expensive.

So, I am feeling like a walking heart attack waiting to happen.

Ugh!

My husband absolutely hates vegetables and fruits so I don't know if I can save him but as for me, I feel I must begin to do something about my diet.

I can't go on eating the way we have been. I'm craving a good salad with spinach and dark green lettuce with cucumbers, celery, carrots, tomatoes and beets. I love vinaigrette dressings with oil and vinegar so I'm not going to be missing the heavy dressings.

I still have to stay on a strict budget. I've been shopping at Safeway because of their good deals but I am going to check out Walmart. I've never shopped much at Walmart but I am curious about the prices of their food.

Last night I went to Raley's and bought two blood oranges for .99 cents and two, count em, TWO mushrooms to go on my cheese pizza.

And that's another thing.... I'm done ordering pizzas from pizza resturants. My husband likes all the meat and I don't. I find it greasy and gross. That commercial that says, "Its not delivery, its DeGiorno's." Is RIGHT ON! There's no better pizza. And it's cheap! I can get Ultimate Four Cheese add my on veggies. LOVE IT! =)

Next time I do my grocery shopping for the week, I'm going to try Walmart.

No comments: