Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The ugly side

For me the downside to this illness is the array of EXTREME symptoms associated when I am on the downside. It makes it almost impossible to carry on as if I am A-Okay. I know that everyone has ups and downs but this is not normal or your average bad days, this is extreme and makes it difficult to manage daily life, hold a job or get along with others.


Here are the most troublesome:

  • Problems concentrating
  • Muscle tension
  • Back pain
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Anxiety
  • Memory problems
  • Depression
  • Loneliness
  • Insomnia
  • Irritable
  • Grouchy
  • Social Anxiety
  • Pain, neck/shoulder
  • Excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence)
  • Thinking problems
  • Hopelessness
  • Sensitivity to Loud Sounds
  • Headaches/Migraines
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Joint pain
  • Deadened emotions
  • Impulsive behavior
  • Nightmares
  • Major Depression
  • Weight gain
  • trouble falling asleep
  • Panic attack(s)
  • Apathy
  • Avoiding people
  • Lethargy
  • Feeling emptiness
  • Self-hating Thoughts (repetitive and involuntary)
  • Obsessive Thoughts
  • Feeling of hopeless and irremediable social/emotional isolation
  • Difficulty waking up
  • Brain fog
  • Avoidance (Avoiding challenges and stress)
  • Self-isolation
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
  • Rash/skin problems
  • Extreme/excessive guilt
  • Perfectionism
  • Racing thoughts
  • Dissociation
  • Vivid dreams
  • Anxiety and Frustration
  • Mood swings
  • Loss of short term memory
  • Binge eating
  • Difficulty sleeping through night
  • Boredom
  • Dry mouth (xerostomia)
  • Uncontrollable crying
  • Paranoia
  • Blurry vision
  • Feeling guilty
  • Agoraphobia
  • Social withdrawal
  • Fear
  • Zoning out/day dreaming
  • Panic about future
  • Overspending
  • General muscle achiness
  • RAGE
  • Ringing in ears (tinnitus)
  • Balance problems
  • Sugar cravings
  • Late for everything
  • Pain, chronic
  • Guilt about what should-be-accomplished
  • Sadness
  • Self-injury
  • Pessimism/negative attitude
  • Always tired
  • Flashbacks
  • Shame
  • late or miss work
  • No social interaction
  • Heat intolerance
  • Jaw clenching
  • Fear of travel
  • Frustration
  • Easily mad
  • Dreams exhausting me
  • Light sensitivity (photophobia)
  • Sensitivity to a lot of noise
  • Light headedness,
  • Forecasting other's thoughts
  • Feeling like I am disconnected from myself

Cognative therapy and medication help to manage these symptoms and keep me from wallowing in them, however, I do feel a great amount of guilt for the things I have not accomplished in my life. I am creative, artistic and smart. My teachers used to say I was brilliant. It's possible for me to be brilliant, which is something that many people who have this illness are. The brain goes from one extreme to the other. 0 to 60 and back down.

I enjoy the times I have stayed up for days to finish a painting or something I was working on. My energy was high and I didn't even notice the time. My mind exillerated into a place where time did not exist. Then I would crash and sleep all day, gaining my strength to do it again.

I think they used to call people like this eccentric. It's okay to be eccentric if you have wealth and don't have to work for a living but in the rat race of the working world, it doesn't pan out.

No comments: